Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Don't be afraid to lean on people (Especially if they have leaned on you!)

Here is Bobby's first blog entry since leaving the rehab center. We sat down on Monday night. He spoke, I typed. Again, I have made small edits to sentences so that it is easier to read, but these are his words.

Bobby:
"I did not take the problems with my body seriously in the beginning. I thought it was a way to get out of school. I can remember the most exciting part of my day was going to work with my mom, getting a wrestling magazine and going to lunch with her after my doctor’s appointment. It wasn’t a happy time for me. When I would hear mom and dad talk about me, I knew something wasn’t right.

With this illness, I have endured a lot of things. For example, I never hit puberty and I have a lot of insecurity. I knew that I couldn’t do a lot of things that other kids could, and I had to compromise in other ways. I didn’t like to live my life like that, knowing I was different, so I became very rebellious, bitter and angry. One thing I have to say, though, is I have never forgotten what my Mom has done for me.

The disease I have is forever, it is never going to go away. It’s been something I have had to deal with for a very, very long time. It hasn’t been easy. Maybe that’s why I turned to drugs and alcohol. Why I didn’t turn to my mom or dad because there was nothing they could do about my illness, they could take me here or take me there, but nothing about it was ever going to change.

I hope that anybody who has a chance to read what I am sharing knows that they have a lot of ways to deal with their illness. This does not have to end. You do not have to give up. You CAN survive, you CAN live life. I recently had two fingers amputated and found out that I have very poor circulation. I am not getting sufficient blood flow in my body. But I can’t worry about that right now. I have to work on today.

I do know this: out of everything that I have gone through...and I mean this from the bottom of my heart...my mom is the reason that I am still alive. If it weren’t for her I would have died a long time ago.

As far as my past, I always knew days like this were coming, and my mom warned me but I didn’t listen. Asking for help is not a weak thing. It’s not about pride. It’s about doing the right thing, and finding out what I have to do to live. For me, I didn’t believe that and it hurt me physically, mentally and emotionally. It’s too late for me now, but it isn’t too late for anybody who reads and thinks that it is. Remember, illnesses do not discriminate. They don’t care what you look like or if you are having a bad day. They will attack. Don’t give them the pleasure, and don’t be afraid to ask for help."

4 comments:

  1. Bobby, it is wonderful that you are using your life spirit to reach out and help others. Sharing our burdens is the best way to lessen them. Faith is important. With our gift of free will we have many choices to make, daily. Choose life, you have so much to give. I hope there is ongoing research, trials, perhaps treatments that are out there for you. You deserve the best. You didn't bring on your illness, sometimes numbing drugs is a survival technique. You have learned that it was a bad choice, but you did survive. Your mother must love you very much, as she--you. That is a special relationship. I have found that whatever the illness/condition, there are new treatments going on. I rely on the Mayo and Clevland Clinic sites to get me started on current research. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,

    Thank you so much for your comment. I am sharing them with Bobby as I get them, and he will give you a personalized response the next time we get together. I am sure he will appreciate that you took the time to speak to him. So again, thank you!

    I will post his response in this comment thread, it should be sometime this week.

    Hope you had a great weekend.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for responding to my blog.

    I have definitely gone through my share of trouble, not only health
    wise, with the law, with faith, despite of everything my mom gave me
    advice on...or close friends for that matter. I didn’t heed those
    words. Instead I chose to block out everything that was going on and
    hide my feelings. Now that I am much older the damage that I did when
    I was young is irreversible and now its haunting me. I am a symbol
    that there is a god. I don’t know how much longer I have but its not
    my decision.

    I know that if I can reach someone that is having a bad time with life
    through drugs, faith the law, health problems, whatever....if I can
    get he or she through that moment and tell them that there is a God
    and there is a life worth living., if I reach that individual I know I
    did my job.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete