Sunday, October 18, 2009

Faith - believing in something that you cannot see or hear

Here are some ideas on faith that Bobby wanted to share.

Bobby says:
“Even though you can’t see it, feel it, taste it, touch it or hold it, doesn’t mean its not there. For me, with everything that’s going on, its difficult to handle my faith because I have been shot down by a lot of doctors. I feel low. Nobody wants to go through something like this. I know that people can get shot down in any number of ways, but nobody thinks about how I feel when it happens.
Greed, power, being the man, none of that matters. I see some people want to have another run at something, be it drugs, drink, crime, I am not a part of that anymore. There are so many things that I want to do, I wish I did not wait so long to do them. I think I did wait too long.

When I was in jail, one of my cell mates said, "Never sleep with your head towards the bars." I said, "Why?" He said, "Cause if they don’t like you they will cut your throat." That environment was totally new to me, I had to re-learn how to survive, how to have faith, how to be ruthless, how to keep my mouth shut and not be nosy. When I was sentenced to all that time, I was shocked. I was seriously shocked. When I first got there I was in single cell, the “hold” as they call it. There was nothing in it, you couldn’t have any visitors, no telephone, no nothing really. And my Mom sent me some books, they were the only ones I was allowed to have. They were stories about people turning their lives around using faith. I think that was important at that moment, for me to read about that.

The only job another convict in jail has is to break you down, to let you know that he is there, and if he has to kill you he will kill you. It was very hard to adjust to that scene so I made it a point to get on my hands and knees and pray morning noon and night. I remember my mom telling me something that stuck with me, she said, keep the faith. So I did. I kept praying to God, praying to God. It was terrible.

So Brad, if your kids ever screw up, if you have to, be tough with them. Especially if they don’t want to listen. Because you are here to take care of yourself, your kids, your wife. I look at you and say, I think you are doing what God wants you to do. I think God and Jesus have a lot on their plate, if they say, ok Brad, I am going to give you kids, then there has to be a reason for that. To have the opportunity to give those kids what they deserve, I think you are entitled to that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment