Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Update

Bobby has been in the hospital now for almost a month. Over the last year he has been in and out of different hospitals at least ten times. Because of his deteriorating arteries, he has lost two fingers, one on each hand. As he would say, its just one thing after another. He was sent home last week, and on the same day he got home he fell and damaged his groin. The next morning he woke up in too much pain to walk, called the rescue squad who brought him to the hospital yet again, this time needing emergency surgery to fix a bad hernia. The operation has made it difficult to walk, but he is making progress. Tomorrow he is told they will transfer him to a rehabilitation facility until he is well enough to get around on his own. Needless to say, between the arterial disease in his arms, the loss of his fingers, and this most recent operation, he is fighting depression. His doctors aren't specifically saying what will happen, but he is not encouraged. Because of the H1N1 flu, visiting hours are restricted and I have not been able to visit as much as I would like. But we do talk about twice a day on the phone. Bobby really needs to catch a break. Please take a moment to leave him a word or two of encouragement and let him know that people are out there praying for him.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Bobby, I'm sorry you're not well. I understand how hard it is to have health problems and the amount of patience it takes to get through each part illness. Please know that you have my sympathies and encouragement to stay strong. I know it's really hard, but if you take things one at a time with patience and the support of friends and famiuly, you may find it a little easier. Take care and know that my prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I've linked your blog to mine, if you don't mind, so others can follow you like they follow me. Anyway, the yoga is going really well. Seriously kicking my butt though. Low impact but a real work out. My doctor didn't give me any restrictions other than don't hurt yourself. Actually, he encouraged me. I'm just doing yoga to a DVD at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How old is Bobby? He sounds like he really has his hands full these days. We are all praying for you kiddo! I will link this blog to my website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison, thank you for your note. I shared it with Bobby and he is really happy to hear people are thinking about him. It meant a lot.

    Barry, thanks for linking our blogs. And thanks for your feedback about the yoga. I have already talked to a teacher who specializes in working with people who have special needs. When Bobby gets out of the hospital, I am going to urge him to meet with her. Its funny, Bobby's doctors and medical staff don't tell him not to do it, they just kind of don't think it will help. Then again, their treatments are not perfect either, so I told him to just try it for himself. Now I can tell him it works for other people on dialysis!!

    Michael, Bobby is 37. Absolutely his hands are full. He just cannot catch a break. Thanks for your prayers, I will tell him what you wrote. And thanks for linking us to your website, that makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have linked my website to this blog. I think Bobby's story needs to be told.
    http://www.michaelwnewman.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison, thank you so much for your concern and your blessings, every bit counts and when you’re in the hospital, just hearing from somebody, it just feels like someone cares. It’s pretty lonely and scary sometimes and hearing from you feels good. Thank you once again, God bless you.

    Barry, thank you for your response, I am going to attempt yoga myself. As far as I know it wouldn’t hurt. I am willing to try anything as long as it is not my way, and I think that will improve my circulation doing a different thing. For thirty years I have been taking life for granted, I can’t do that anymore. I need to be serious about what’s going on, this is no longer a joke. I think this is a stern warning coming from God saying, “Change your ways or there will be severe consequences. I am already dealing with some consequences now, but like I have said, if I can share my strength in faith with someone who has been down in the dumps or hopeless like me, for them to make an attempt to change their ways, then God can take me because I think if I save someone’s life, save them from themselves or demons that surround this world, then I did what God has wanted me to do all along.
    God bless you Barry!


    Hey Michael, thanks for linking your blog to mine. And thanks for leaving a note. I am taking it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have added letters to my website geared in particular for dialysis patients to help them with their credit/debt problems.

    ReplyDelete